This dish makes the whole house smell delicious!
This recipe has been circulated throughout my family, and I’ve learned we all make it differently, but which ever way you choose, it’s a crowd pleaser!
1 bag (12 0z) Extra Wide Egg Noodles
1 lb ground beef (I use organic/grass fed beef)
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
approx 1 tbsp olive oil
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried basil (or parsley)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I use a mexican 4 cheese blend)
**optional 1/2 cup sliced black olives
** substitute ground beef with ground turkey or go meatless!
** substitute egg noodles with a gluten free option (i.e. quinoa noodles)
Ready, set, count down to grub time!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Before I chop my onion, I get my pan ready. I turn my burner on medium heat, place the pan on the stove and heat up about 1 tbsp of olive oil (aka a couple drizzles)
2. Depending on your affection for onion, you can use 1/2 an onion or 1/4 of a whole onion, peel/dice/chop. By now, your pan is ready, toss in your chopped onion and sauté in the olive oil. Cook until translucent.
3. Then add your beef, mix in with the onions, stir and start to brown the meat. (I usually leave my meat out about 30 minutes before cooking, but you don’t have to)
4. At this point, I bring a separate pot of water to boil & put the noodles cooking
5. Once your meat is browned, add in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil – stir/mix all together. Then add 1 cup of the shredded cheese into the sauce mix and melt
6. Once your noodles are done, drain and rinse with cold water. (I cook the noodles al dente aka the noodle is cooked but still has firmness. Keep in mind the dish is then baked, so the noodles will cook more in the oven).
7. Throw the noodles in your pan with sauce, turn off your heat, and mix it all together. Transfer the mix into a baking dish (I typically use a 9×13 – un-greased, you can grease for easier clean up). Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top (or more if you like cheese)
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Once done, let sit for 5 minutes & serve!
Buon Appetito 🙂