A quick, week night way to make Carnitas!
1 3-4lb pork butt/shoulder roast
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 packet Frontera’s slow cook sauce
1. Heat your oven to 325 degrees
2. Heat the oil to medium-high heat in a cast iron pot (one with a lid), add the chunks of meat and brown on all sides.
3. Once browned, add in the water and sauce packet, stir and turn your burner off.
4. Cover the pot and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Once done, I remove the chunks one at a time and transfer them to a plate for shredding. The meat should fall apart with ease. I shred all the meat and discard the fat. I then place all of the shredded meat back in the juice.
You can serve immediately, my favorite is tacos! or you can let the meat soak a little while longer and then put in a tupperware to use during the week. It makes it easy on week nights after work to just heat up what you need and eat!
The Frontera’s sauce was a lucky find at Whole Foods, and it’s all natural, no preservatives, and made with no gluten. Yay!
This roast makes a lot, so it’s great for cook and keep!